9/05/2007

Gotama Buddha by Hajime Nakamura

the Japanese scholar Hajime Nakamura has written a very thorough biography on the Buddha. It is based on the most reliable texts. I want to speak about Volume Two.
It starts with the last journey of the Tathagata and proceeds up to his death in Kusinagar. There is a final and very interesting chapter on the beginnings of deification of the Buddha. If I want to read the major texts of Buddhism, I need Pali, Sanskrit, Cinghalese, Chinese, Tibetan and Japanese at least. Obviously I can't master all these languages, fortunately, Dr Nakamura is a very knowledgeable scholar who based his book on the most reliable texts and on his own experiences and anecdotes about his visits to the important sites in the life of Siddharta.
I have to add that the translation in English is great, so congratulations to Gaynor Sekimori too!

沒有留言: